Wednesday, April 23, 2008

5 tips for a balanced Creative Life

Hi Joy of Homemaking readers! My name is Heather and I've been asked to guest post today. I blog over at Maternal Spark, a site for Creative Moms. You'll often get a mommy perspective from my posts. Hope you enjoy them!

Five tips for a balanced Creative life.


1) Write it down!

Keep a mini note pad and pen with you at ALL times. I know it sounds silly but there have been many times when I was standing over a poopy diaper or washing bottles when a great idea came to me. Then, just as easily it was gone because the next baby thing took over. It's hard to keep a train of thought going when you see your baby putting something they shouldn't in their mouth. So jot it down, even if it's just a chicken scratch note. Then it will be there for you when you have time to think about it more and add some depth.

2) Let it go.

Yes, my house is a bit of a mess. There are toys on the floor and laundry that needs doing but I've come to realize that I can't do it all. So, if I'm going to make a go of this blog and write then something needs to give. For me it's the housework. Figure out what is important to you and what is not. If it can wait, let it. I'm giving you permission.

3) Take time out.

These days I can't even take a shower without dear hubby coming in to the bathroom to tell me that little H has pooped or done something cute. Now I lock the door. That time is important to me. It's time for me to be me and to let my mind wander (I've got that pen close in case it wanders somewhere important). Figure out when you can steal a little you time and protect it like you protect your kids from danger. Shower time, grocery shopping time, whatever. Make it work for you.

4) Avoid brain suckers.

Turn off that TV. Put down that trash mag. Freeing your mind of mental clutter will open the brain cells to what they do best. Create. As a writer I've always been told to read, read, read and I love to do it but, my time is limited and if I'm going to write something that is new and fresh then maybe my time is better spent, oh I don't know, maybe writing? If you work in visual arts then close your eyes for a minute and see what appears there. It might be something great.

5) Get organized for nap time (or babysitter time, or school, whatever).

Nap time is the best time to really get down to it. Get everything ready to go so all that's left to do once the baby's head hits the mattress is start on your project. Put some laundry in before hand, put the coffee pot on, set up your workspace, make sure you are fed, go pee. Put the baby down and get to work.

I hope you find your best way to keep creative AND be a great mommy. What works for you? Let us know in comments. If you'd like to subscribe to my posts click here

No comments:

Popular Posts